Contribute to our Endowment Fund
To support a diversity of ecological management plans at the Refuge
After more than 35 years of hands-on conservation work, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and its many partners can take great pride in a host of exceptional accomplishments at Hakalau Forest NWR. Yet, the Refuge is faced with enormous challenges, such as shifting agency budget priorities, diverse predators, aggressive weeds and deteriorating infrastructure.
The Friends of Hakalau Forest (FOHF) created the Refuge Management Endowment in 2015 in conjunction with the Hawaii Community Foundation to help offset these ongoing challenges, and we invite you to join our efforts. The Hawaii Community Foundation is a tax exempt public charity under section 501(c)3 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.
Purpose of the Endowment;
To support the Hakalau Forest NWR financially in their efforts to conserve the integrity, diversity and health of native species and ecosystems
Uses for the Endowment;
To support a diversity of ecological management projects including, but not limited to, invasive plant and animal control, fence construction and maintenance, and propagation and out-planting of native plant species.
Payout of the Endowment;
Endowed funds provide a sustainable level of resources in perpetuity. Each year, the Hawaii Community Foundation will pay out to the FOHF approximately 4% of the Endowment’s average market value, based on the payout policy at the time. The FOHF and the Refuge will jointly determine how these funds will be used to address Refuge management priorities.
As of June 2023 FOHF has raised over $1,000,000 in the Endowment Fund.
Please click HERE for Frequently Asked Questions about Hakalau Forest NWR and our Endowment Fund.
We welcome your contribution to the Endowment (you can donate anonymously if you wish) – please click on the button to access Hawaii Community Foundation’s secure website
Donors may also contribute by:
- CREDIT CARD: https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/hakalau-forest-refuge-management-endowment-fund
- PERSONAL CHECK: Please make check payable to Hakalau Forest Refuge Management Endowment Fund (Hakalau Fund) of the Hawaii Community Foundation. Mail to Hawaiʻi Community Foundation, 827 Fort Street Mall, Honolulu, HI 96813.
- WIRE INSTRUCTIONS: Please contact Malu Debus at 808-345-6482 or email@example.com
- PRIVATE FOUNDATIONS or DONOR ADVISED FUNDS: Make donation to: Hakalau Forest Refuge Management Endowment Fund of the Hawaii Community Foundation. Include the following Information: Hawaii Community Foundation, 827 Fort Street Mall, Honolulu, HI 96813, EIN: 99-0261283, Contact: Malu Debus
- QUALIFIED CHARITABLE DISTRIBUTION FROM YOUR IRA: Required Minimum Distribution are withdrawals you have to make from most retirement plans (excluding Roth IRAs). If you are of an age that you must take required minimum distributions (RMDs) from your IRA, you may make a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from your IRA. The money must go directly from your IRA financial institution to the charity. One tax advantaged way to donate is to make a QCD of part or all of your RMD. In doing this you will avoid paying income tax on the part of the RMD that you donated. Contact the your retirement account custodian to send up to $100,000 to the Hakalau Forest Refuge Management Endowment Fund of the Hawaii Community Foundation. Include the following information : Hawaii Community Foundation, 827 Fort Street Mall, Honolulu, HI 96813, EIN: 99-0261283, Contact: Malu Debus
- STOCKS & BONDS: Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to the Hakalau Forest Refuge Management Endowment Fund. If you are interested in making a gift of stocks and bonds, contact Malu Debus at 808-345-6482 for instruction. The Hawai’i Community Foundation can also accept the following donations on behalf of Hakalau Forest: Real Estate – donating real estate comes with a sizable tax benefit.
- LEGACY GIVING: Directing gifts through a trust or will through planned giving is a great way to support the Hakalau Forest Refuge Management Endowment Fund.. Please contact Malu Debus at 808-345-6482 to discuss these opportunities.